Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Sena Bhawan, New Delhi – 110 105
Date the 4th December, 2017
The Chief of Army Staff
The Chief of Navy Staff
The Chief of Air Staff
Subject: Enhancement of monetary allowance attached to the Post-Independence Gallantry Awards.
I am directed to refer to this Ministry’s letter No. 7(119)/2008-D(AG) dated 30th March, 2011 on the above subject and to convey the sanction of the President to the enhanced payment of monetary allowance at the following rates to all recipients, irrespective of rank and income, of the following Post-Independence gallantry awards, with effect from 1st August, 2017:-
|Gallantry Awards||Existing rate of
(Rupees per month)
|Revised rate of
(Rupees per month)
|Param Vir Chakra (PVC)||10,000||20,000|
|Ashoka Chakra (AC)||6,000||12,000|
|Maha Vir Chakra (MVC)||5,000||10,000|
|Kirti Chakra (KC)||4,500||9,000|
|Vir Chakra (VrC)||3,500||7,000|
|Shaurya Chakra (SC)||3,000||6,000|
|Sena/Nao Sena/Vayu Sena Medal (Gallantry)||1,000||2,000|
2. The allowance shall be admissible to the recipient of the award on his death to his widow lawfully married by a valid ceremony. The widow will continue to receive the allowance until her death. Ordinarily the widow who was first married shall receive the allowance but with the special sanction of the Government the allowance may be divided equally between the lawful widows of the recipient.
3. When the award has been made posthumously to a bachelor, the monetary allowance shall be paid to his father or mother, and in case the Posthumous awardee was a widower, the allowance shall be paid to his son below 18 years or unmarried daughter as the case may be.
4. Each bar to the decoration will carry the same amount of monetary allowance as admissible to the original award.
5. The monthly monetary allowance will be paid in respect of all gallantry awards received by an individual.
6. Payments if any, already made for the period beyond the date of issue of this letter will be adjusted against the payment due under this letter.
7. The expenditure on this account will be debitable to the relevant Heads of the Defence Service Estimates.
8. This issues with concurrence of Ministry of Finance (Department of Expenditure) vide their U.O. No. 7/67/E.III.A/98 dated 11th September, 2017.
(T.D. Prashanth Rao)
Under Secretary to the Government of India